Enhancements, Fixes, and Known Issues 01/16/2023
The following enhancements, fixes, and known issues are found in this release, dated 01/16/2023:
- ScaleZ vault maintenance background job was introduced. This job ensures that the S3 bucket holding the metadata on all recovery points is maintained, and the older snapshots metadata is removed. This reduces the AWS spend on an Elastio vault.
- The amount of Progress updates sent to the UI was reduced to improve the performance of Elastio Tenants job progress updates.
- AWS Backup Integration - The integration of AWS Backup and Elastio allows for the import of AWS backup recovery points to be scanned for ransomware and malware. This feature is useful for customers who need to ensure that their AWS backup recovery points are free from cyber threats and corruption before they are archived. The “elastio-aws-backup-eventbridge-iscan-report” folder on the Elastio GitHub repository contains the necessary files and instructions for integrating AWS Backup with Elastio. This integration allows for the import of AWS backup recovery points to be scanned for malware and ransomware using Elastio. The folder includes the following files:
- A CloudFormation template for setting up the necessary resources on AWS
- A Lambda function for triggering the import and scan of recovery points
- An example of an eventbridge rule for triggering the Lambda function
- A guide for setting up the integration. Elastio and AWS Backup communicate using AWS EventBridge to trigger the lambda function which then import and scan the AWS Backup recovery points with Elastio and produce a report.
- Improved snapshots cleanup. Previously the snapshots Elastio created at the time of backup would remain in the account after the resource was deleted/terminated in the AWS account. Starting with this release, AWS snapshots created by Elastio would be removed when the resource is removed / terminated in the AWS account.
- EC2 restore in Elastio CLI would sometimes fail with “I/O pool error”. This was fixed.
- Previously EBS volumes attached to the EC2 instance would not be counted as protected in the Backup window compliance calculation. This was fixed.
- When doing an EC2 backup in Elastio CLI from a Windows instance an error of the
ssm:GetConnectionStatusmissing would appear. A permission to avoid this problem was added.
- EBS volumes of the Elastio worker instance would get backed up while it was running scheduled backups. By design such instances should not be backed up. A tag was added to them upon creation to avoid this behavior.
- An import of the AWS Backup recovery point for an EBS volume from a region other than the one running Elastio would result in an error. This was fixed.